With the rapid growth of new websites, designing them has become more complex. Creating a website is hard work, and it can take quite a bit of time to create one from scratch. Whether you are looking for ideas or just want to improve your skills, here’s what you need in order to effectively design a website:
– Sketching software like Adobe Illustrator or SketchUp allows you to explore multiple design options in 3D space.
– Your favorite image editing program with added features and templates that provide a starting point for your designs. Options include Photoshop, InDesign, and GIMP.
– A graphics editor that allows you to resize, crop, and manipulate photos/images. Sometimes referred as a photo editing software or image editing program. Examples include Adobe Photoshop and Corel Draw.
– A vector graphics editor will allow you to create and edit shapes from scratch using simple paths. Examples include Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW.
– An animation software for animations on websites. Examples include Flash by Adobe and GoAnimate by GoAnimate Technologies Pte Ltd.
– A music composition software that allows you to create professional music scores with your own sound effects (for films and videos). Options include Propellerhead Reason by Propellerhead Software AB and Apple Logic Pro by Apple Inc..
– A video editing software that will allow you to create slide shows, titles, and transitions. Examples include Adobe Premier Pro, Adobe After Effects, or Apple Final Cut Pro by Apple Inc..
– An image sizing/cropping software that allows you to resize and crop images. Examples include Pixlr Express for Windows and GIMP for Linux.
– An HTML editor that allows you to write CSS code (CSS files). Options include Dreamweaver by Adobe, WYSIWYG Editor by Microsoft Corporation (internet explorer), Notepad++ by NPO Software (Windows), Vim Editor by Bram Moolenaar (Linux).
– A content management system for website design . Options include WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla!.
– A page layout software that allows you to design a page layout for your website/web document. Options include InDesign and QuarkXPress by Adobe Systems.
– A vector graphics software that allows you to create graphic images from simple shapes such as rectangles, circles, and lines. Examples include CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator.
– An animation program that allows you to create animated characters on your website in order to promote an idea or product to the visitors of your website/web document. Options include GoAnimate by GoAnimate Technologies Pte Ltd and Flash by Adobe Systems Inc..
– A video editing software that allows you to add sound on your website or create animated videos for your website. Examples include Adobe Premier Pro and Apple Final Cut Pro by Apple Inc..
– A web server/hosting service that allows you to upload and store files on the internet for your website, blog, portfolio, etc. Examples include Microsoft OneDrive for Business from Microsoft Corporation, Google Drive from Google Inc., and Dropbox by Dropbox Inc.
– A basic HTML editor that will allow you to write simple HTML code (HTML files). Examples include Dreamweaver by Adobe Systems or Notepad++ by NPO Software (Windows).
– The ability to communicate with clients via email, phone or instant messenger application. Examples include Skype, iChat, Google Talk, and Windows Live Messenger.
– The ability to market your website on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
– A 3D graphics software that allows you to create 3D images. Examples include Autodesk Maya by Autodesk and Blender by the Blender Foundation.
– A sound recording studio for music production on your website or web document. Examples include Logic Pro by Apple Inc., Propellerhead Reason by Propellerhead Software AB, Garageband by Apple Inc., or Audacity by Audacity Team (free).
– A marketing strategy for increasing brand awareness via word of mouth and Internet marketing methods. Examples include AdWords by Google, Facebook Ads, and Twitter Ads.
– A collection of free themes that are beautifully designed. Examples include Themeforest or Elegant Themes (wordpress themes).
– The ability to work with the client via phone or Skype for rapid prototyping and concept creation for a product or website.
– The ability to work with clients via email and instant messenger application with a fast response time especially during meetings over Skype.
– Researching online forums for your industry/niche. Examples include WebmasterWorld Forum (Content Writing), WebDesignDiscussions (SEO), Q&A forum discussion, or Wikipedia Answers (Help on topics).